Monday, October 27, 2008

Dispatcher jobs in Maryland

So you want to work in Maryland as a dispatcher huh?


Be advised, you're signing up to be the mediator between two opposing factions.

You're just going to have to have to get used to one side being pissed off at you or the other side.

What do I mean?

On the one hand, you are in the employ of management and management has one set of goals and aspirations.

On the other hand, the only tool at your disposal to achieve what you're being paid to achieve is your drivers... and they have quite another set of goals and aspirations.

When I was a young hard working, eager to please Gung Ho go getter...
I assumed that every one else would be or should be like me.

Boy was I incorrect!

I grew up in a family small business... if we didn't have customers the refrigerator wasn't full!

My Dad taught me solid free enterprise Republican values and I took those work ethics with me when I left home.

What I encountered was an adversarial relationship in the work force that appalled me.

I also had some serious internal shortcomings... as a fledgling manager, a boss, I used what I later learned was 'management from the throne'.

If I encountered stubborn or lazy employees I threatened them with loss of hours or getting fired.

Well, there are only so many people available to work... in certain jobs nobody WANTS to work. You're actually lucky just to get someone to show up!

... if the business I started in, the pizza business, the target market was college kids and the only employees willing to work those night shifts were college kids, if we hired anyone else they just screwed up totally.

Well... college kids are usually rich kids, the reason they even bothered to get a job was to get beer money, their Mommies and Daddies were doctors and lawyers and if I 'yelled at them' they just walked off the job (and I couldn't get any one to fill that job)

You think you can just hire anyone to drive, at night, find everything and not get lost?

You really think their that easy to replace?

Try it.

Some similar businesses have similar approaches to management, and these guys are rich and/ or foreign born (from another culture) and think that a Boss is SUPPOSED to be an asshole.

This is untrue but you cant tell that to someone from another country that paid cash for his business...and you're stuck working for the idiot.

So... you've got to keep this A**hole happy AND keep your drivers from walking off the job or calling in sick by the dozen.

Walking a tight rope is more like it.

So... what do you do?

Look at your roster and look at the schedule.

You're going to have to give somebody the crap deliveries and spread out the 'gravy' fairly.

This amounts to pissing off the fewest possible people, don't screw everyone, or if you have to make sure you make it up to them.


and if you're not doing this?

You're not doing your job





How to Dominate Google Rankings

No comments:

Post a Comment